A Brief History
The present St Thomas is the second church building on this site. The first church was a small timber and iron building, originally blessed and opened for worship in August 1906 in Lysterfield.
In 1922 this church was moved by a team of horses to a block next to the present site in Mount View Road, when Upper and Lower Ferntree Gully were rural outposts of Melbourne.
As Ferntree Gully grew into a commuter suburb, a much larger contemporary church building was required. Building for the present church, designed by renowned architect Keith Reid, commenced in 1959 and was completed and dedicated by Archbishop Frank Woods on 29 October 1960. Since then, with the further addition of a multi-purpose narthex, a flexible contemporary interior space is available for the church’s activities and outreach.
In 1998, with the commissioning of its Vicar in the role of Hospital Chaplain, St Thomas formally commenced a joint ministry of chaplaincy to the William Angliss Hospital together with its parish ministry. Affirming this stepping out in faith, Bishop John Stewart wrote: “So St Thomas was given the opportunity to take up the challenge of caring for the people of Upper Ferntree Gully and the William Angliss Hospital”. With the establishment of new arrangements between hospital and chaplaincy agencies this pioneering ministry arrangement concluded in 2014.
St Thomas continues in this tradition of caring for all, offering spiritual and sacramental care to numerous hospitals and nursing homes, locally and in the wider area, and to any who are seeking.
In 2016, St Thomas celebrated 110 years of continuous Anglican worship in the Lysterfield and Ferntree Gully area.
Thanks be to God.